Monday, January 21, 2013

Watching & Enjoying British Professional Wrestling

Once a year, I go through a phase of binging on British pro-wrestling.  Quite some time ago, I decided to create a unique video that could introduce others into this distinct product.  British pro-wrestling, specifically the variety that aired on ITV's "World of Sport"from 1965 through 1988, takes some time to get used to and appreciate.  The rounds, the rules, the style and all make it as different from American pro-wrestling as lucha libre is.  I think most anyone can enjoy a Johnny Saint match for his unbelievable "escapological" style, many could enjoy familiar faces like the Dynamite Kid or Fit Finlay and some might be curious about Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks.  There is a great deal more depth however.

In these videos, I attempt to share the history, the rounds, the rules, the weight class system and the basics of the style.

I should remark that the BBC's "When Wrestling was Golden" documentary inspired me to hastily pull this project together.  There seemed to be a rare spike in interest and I hope that people will take an interest in British pro-wrestling and perhaps my contribution can fan the flames of interest a little.


In an age when the current television product in the US is so stale, so redundant and so stale, this pro-wrestling provides a level of variety of characters, technical prowess and uniqueness that I hope many will give it a chance.

While this is by no means a complete listing, below are some of my personal favorites matches that I would implore fans to check out!








No comments:

Post a Comment